Blueberry Tarragon Chicken Salad
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed (If possible soak overnight)
- 1-2 cups water (or low sodium vegetable broth for extra flavor)
- 1 bay leave
- 8 ounces baby spinach
- 1/2 cups organic blueberries, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/4 cup sweet onion, small diced
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1-2 tablespoons dates, fresh, pitted
- Fresh zest from one small lemon
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup raw walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 pound chopped chicken breast- baked or grilled- free range, hormone free, antibiotic free
- Combine lentils, one cup of water or broth and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the lentils are soft. Check occasionally to see if more water is needed. Don’t let lentils get dry.
- Drain. Discard the bay leaf. Set aside and let cool.
- Heat coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté onions until lightly brown. Let cool.
- Place onions and coconut oil in blender. Add 1/2 cup blueberries, the apple cider vinegar, sea salt, dates, tarragon, lemon zest, lemon juice and water. Blend till smooth. Chill.
- For the salad, toss lentils and spinach together. Arrange spinach mix on plate. Garnish with the remaining 1 cup of blueberries and the walnuts.
- Drizzle dressing on salad.